FOUNDATIONAL LEARNING COMPETENCE QUALIFICATION
• Do you want to develop your employees and let them climb the educational ladder to progress in their existing career?
• Don’t they have a Grade 12 or equivalent qualification?
• Do you want to retain your employees and create a working environment where employees will feel like an asset to your company?
• Are they struggling to enrol in a trade or occupational qualification, since they do not meet the entry level requirements?
• Do you want to start empowering your employees and let them achieve career growth and self-satisfaction?
If you have answered yes to any of the aforementioned questions then let your employees join our FLC programme!
What is FLC?
Foundational Learning Competence (FLC) is a part qualification that consists of two learning areas: Communication and Mathematical Literacy. It outlines the minimum level of competence required for optimal functioning in the world of work and for occupational learning at NQF Levels 2-4. It is a part qualification registered at NQF Level 2 and carries 40 credits in total.
Each learning area carries 20 credits. The FLC is directed at learners in occupational qualifications registered on the NQF at Level 2, 3 and 4.
This qualification is a compulsory component for all new qualifications developed by the Quality Council for trades and occupations (QCTO) at NQF levels 3 and 4.
Numerous qualifications and subsequent job opportunities are available on NQF 2, 3 and 4.
1. Foundational Communication
• Speaking and listening
• Visual literacy
• Language structure and usage
• Study skills
• Workplace terminology
2. Foundational Mathematical Literacy
• Number and quantity
• Data and chance
• Space and shape
• Patterns and relationships
Where can I do this?
The Cape Town School of English, situated in Claremont is a Private College that is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training. The College is an accredited Skills Development Provider at the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations. The QCTO has approved the Independent Examinations Board (IEB) as the Assessment Quality partner (AQP) for the FLC.
Note that we are able to provide training at our premises, your workplace or any mutually agreed venue.
Entry requirements for the FLC
Learners who are competent at ABET Level 3 or 4 in English or Maths Literacy, which is equivalent to Grade 9 or NQF level 1.
It will be advisable that learners undertake a placement assessment before doing the FLC. The placement assessment tries to ensure that the demands of the learning programme match the learner’s level of competence
Please feel free to engage Carl Stassen the Project Manager for FLC at the Cape Town School of English for further info. .